I loved being pregnant. I have 3 kids and have been pregnant 2 times. Doing the math, that means I had a set of twins. Yep, it was still an amazing experience. I, for once, didn’t devour books or plan much. I saw my Doctor, but mostly I did the pregnancy thing by the seat of my newly expandable pants. Probably because I was so freaked out about the twins themselves (I didn’t know WHAT to do with ONE baby much less TWO!)
My pregnancy was pretty easy, considering. But there were a few things that took me by surprise, other than the a) Hey, you’re pregnant and b) Its TWINS. God had a good laugh that day.
- I didn’t realize my skin could stretch so far – Carrying twins who are 7lbs each made my body do amazing things.
- I didn’t realize my skin wouldn’t just ‘bounce back’ like a rubber band. It bounced back like an OLD rubber band, which meant it didn’t.
- I didn’t realize I didn’t need to see my toes. What IS it with toes anyway – they can’t be that important!
- I didn’t expect it would be hard to find pregnancy clothes for a twin carrying body
- Babies inside the body eat when you eat, sleep when you sleep – keep it that way as looong as possible.
- I didn’t expect to fall in love with my babies before they were born – I did
The reason I tell you these things is because there are somethings you need to know if you are expecting. If you are pregnant, find support. Having twins? Join a twin group. Its a great local resource for all things twin related, you make friends and can score some pretty cool equipment and clothes at their rummage sales! Having a singleton? Join a parents group, online or in person. They can help you prepare for what lies ahead, the things you will need. If you think pregnancy is a trip, wait till the bundle(s) of joy slide out.
Those of you who follow me on twitter (@tacomalynette) know I participate in the #30SecondMom chat. This is a great group of women who support and offer advice and tips to help make your life easier. I recommend joining twitter just for this chat alone. All the tips from the chat and more are listed on their website or via an iPhone or Droid app.
http://www.30SecondMom.com is partnering with a new website called Wish! Wish is an online baby registry experience. Since it is launching Jan 3rd, they are hosting a flurry of events leading up to the big day. You can win prizes if you go to the website to register for their Pre-Registry Registry event and like their facebook page and post your own “What I Didn’t Expect” story. When you meet registration requirements, you win 1 years worth of diapers. HUGE deal! Go, check it out!